Thank you to all those who applied for the 2017 Scholarships. The 2018 Scholarship Application will be available in the summer. Read the 2016 letter below to get an idea of the scholarship requirements. Come back in the summer to apply.
June 1, 2017
Dear Scholarship Applicant,
The National Federation of the Blind of New York proudly announces our 2017 Scholarship Program. Scholarships will be presented at our State Convention in Albany, New York, from November 17-19, 2017.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You are a resident of New York State.
- You are legally blind.
- You are currently accepted in or enrolled in a degree program at the undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate level.
To apply, go online to nfbny.org/scholarships. All applications must be submitted on, or before, October 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. A member of the NFB of NYS Scholarship Committee will conduct a brief telephone interview with each applicant prior to October 14.
NFB scholarships are awarded on the basis of scholastic excellence, financial need, and community service. In preparing your essay, you may wish to keep the following things in mind:
- A well written, carefully edited essay will count strongly in your favor.
- The committee members are all successful blind college graduates. Consider how you can most effectively convey your best qualities.
- Since the awards are restricted to blind people, the committee will be interested in the techniques and approaches you use in living as a blind person, as well as your attitude toward and perception of life as a blind person.
- Almost all blind students have financial need. Committee members will assume basic need, so you may choose to refer to this topic only if your need is unusual.
Scholarship finalists are required to attend and participate in the State Convention (at the Federation’s expense). You will be notified a few weeks prior to the convention if you are a finalist. Scholarships will be awarded at our convention banquet on November 18, 2017.
Catherine Mendez, Chair
NFB of NYS Scholarship Committee
If you are interested in connecting with other blind college students in New York State, you can find the New York Association of Blind Students on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/nyabs; or follow NYABS on twitter: @nyabslink.